The many benefits of massage therapy are usually posted all over every massage therapists website. We learn the basics of the benefits of massage, how and why massage works in massage school. The only thing is that much of what we learn is not backed by research and the so called benefits are carried on by tradition.
Massage Therapy is much more than the luxury it has previously been made out to be. In our hectic world, filled with long hours at the computer and playing hard in our lives, massage therapy it the necessity that will make living much easier.
From relieving back and neck pain, depression and anxiety, you will often find that you feel much lighter and happier after a Great Massage Therapy Session.
Massage therapy is fast becoming the first line of treatment and defense for reducing pain and thereby reducing Opioid and drug use.
Adding Massage therapy to your treatment plan allows you to participate fully in your recovery plan and health/wellness plan.
There are many benefits of massage therapy that you will find listed on many websites:
Mayo Clinic Benefits of Massage
- Digestive disorders
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
American Massage Therapy Association
- Relieves Stress
- Relives postoperative pain
- Reduce anxiety
- Manage low back pain
- Help fibroymalgia pain
- Reduce Muscle Tension
- Enhance exercise performance
- Relieve tension headaches
- Sleep Better
- Ease symptoms of depression
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Reduce pain of osteoarthritis
- Decrease stress in cancer patients
- Improve balance in older adults
- Decrease rheumatoid arthritis pain
- Temper effects of dementia
- Promotes relaxation
- Lowers blood pressure
- Decrease symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Help chronic neck pain
- Lower joint replacement pain
- Increase range of motion
- Decrease Migraine frequency
Myths in the Massage Therapy World
Many of the things we have come to know and believe are now being called Myths in Massage Therapy….according to research we have and don’t have.
Massage therapy, according to research, DOES NOT reduce cortisol, increase circulation, increase immunity or remove toxins. (See 5 Myths and Truths about Massage Therapy: Letting Go Without Losing Heart by Tracy Walton).
So What Does Massage Therapy Do – according to research.
The strongest research we have shows evidence that massage therapy works best:
- Relieves Pain
- Relieves Anxiety and Depression
- Relieves Headaches
- Helps relieves pain and symptoms of arthritis
- Helps relieve Carpal Tunnel
- Helps reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia
- Helps with hyperactivity disorders
- Helps reduce the stress in people with Alzheimers, Parkinsons
- Increases Range of Motion
- Decreases muscle tension
- Increases relaxation (activates the parasympathetic response)
- Improves sleep
- Reduces scarring of burns
- Increases Seritonin
- Increases Dopamine
- May create changes in the hormones related to pregnancy, labor and post partum depression
- Helps preterm infants grow and thrive